Monday, December 6, 2010

His 132, Week 15

Just got done writing a six page paper, doing HW, and writing on the discussion board for my online History class from Antiquity to 1500. This week was the chapter on the Black Death. We learned about the sophisticated medical technology available to the people during the time, how victims prayers were absolutely never heard by God, and how rich people got to leave the city and let those lazy peasants fend for themselves. 


This is a good class, although I always wait until Sunday to do the homework assignments. I usually have fun with the discussion board, drawing on something funny and discreetly hinting at it. Well I was sick of writing tonight (yet I'm pulling an all nighter to get more HW done, including a two page reflection paper for journalism) and couldn't hold back on the stupidity of Middle Age society. Here it is, historically accurate by the way.






I am certainly glad we don't use cryptograms as a form of security against natural disease. Better yet, I'm ecstatic that last time I had the flu nobody shot a cannon off while I was trying to rest. I am glad that Guy de Chauliac started some work that led to a more scientific and clinical approach to medicine because people in the Middle Ages were clearly not receiving any blatant answers from God on how to avoid sickness. There were definite advances from this era to now-albeit slow-but we were still living near our feces until the mid 1800's (at least in confined, urban areas) and we didn't know it was bad for us to be so close to smelly poop. 

Thanks to all the past, present, and future doctors and scientists.




-Skitz

No comments:

Post a Comment