Sunday, November 7, 2010

Why?: The Blog.








Before proceeding, I want you to know that this is not for children. If you were recently measured back-to-back with a leprechaun, then you need to stop reading.

N
ow.





In the first installment of the "Why" series I will share with the world why I am blogging. I should really put this under a section called "Homework" because this is the second thing I am posting that was originally for school. This was for my career planning class where I interviewed my newspaper advisor, Melissa, about the job. Although not the complete assignment, I feel this does a good job summing up my feelings for blogging as well as my future as a mediocre human being. We start three paragraphs into the paper...




(CONTENTS SLIGHTLY ALTERED)





Melissa gets the most satisfaction from her advisor position when the students are proud of their work. When they exceed expectations by getting more information than is required she knows the students are engaged in what they are doing and are pushing their original boundaries to take on a new range of capabilities. She is proud of the staff this semester for taking on a challenge and producing results. She has often said that this is the best staff she has had since she took the position. Melissa’s attitude about helping students and feeling proud when they do well is the reason I would like to teach. Students that have potential can sometimes get locked in their shell unless someone lights a fire under them. I want to light the match.

Melissa says that the future of Journalism is changing; it is moving from print to the computer screen, so many jobs are also moving. Even though print sources are dwindling, she thinks there will be print sources for a long time to come. Someone like me who is interested in reporting should learn to hone the craft of covering a story, that way I could write for those who read stories or talk for those who watch or listen to stories. Sports is the area I am most interested in and she has said I am on the right path by covering the Kishwaukee Kougars this semester. (I get to watch talented hotties in spandex harass teams that are ugly and suck!)

Melissa is confident that people who are enthusiastic, dedicated, and persistent in reaching their dreams as a writer will do well in finding their way. The most important extra-curricular activity Melissa suggests is blogging in order to write daily. Writing is something that takes continued practice and a blog is a resource to practice while at the same time writing for an audience. In fact, I just started a blog a couple of weeks ago because Melissa was prodding me to do it. I am glad I started because (it allows me to write what I want in order to entertain. I don't have to please some douche bag teacher who doesn't understand a peasant's sense of humor.)

I have tried to write in a humorous way as often as possible for assignments over the years, but it is usually inappropriate. The blog allows me to write naturally. Last week I posted one of my best literary works. (Maybe?) It really exemplifies my ability to make a point while at the same time being funny and controversial. This has already been a great tool to (improve) my writing. I have multiple projects I am working on, all of which are somewhat different.

I am working on projects that cover politics, social issues, and sports; I started multiple stories about my past experiences including a creative dialogue about multiple deaths in the family, a poem about why I didn’t join the Marine Corps, and a letter thanking friends and family for their service in the military. (Let's not forget the "Life. Motivation until death" post that will include lines such as, Divorce: Brought to you by Women's Rights - and - Change: It came, we see it, and we said...never mind.) All of these things I have started in the last week and I work on sporadically. (When I feel the creative magic.)

The biggest goal I aspire to attain is to write a book and have it published. I have always wanted to write a fictional novel and, recently, a non-fiction historical novel. (Like on local soldiers and what not. Contact me if your interested...) I am certain this blog will help me along the path of creative thought and writing, two of the primary goals I plan to perpetuate while I study in Ireland. (...while I study the art of drinking muy grande amounts of Guinness.) I have started organizing a fictional story I think has the potential to be interesting and I hope my study abroad experience can inject even more life (beer) into it.

I would not spend much time on blogging (beer) if I did not feel it was instrumental in my career path. As a teacher, I would have to give information to a class of (unappreciative) pupils, so I would have to somehow make them appreciate it. As a reporter or columnist, I would have to put together (unattractive) stories in a timely fashion. As a public speaker, I would have to organize presentations to be (unfortunately) persuasive or informative while at the same time making it entertaining. All of my interests have to do with organizing (unimportant) information and presenting them in an appropriate way. The blog is a perfect way to practice honing skills that I will be using in any of the professions I choose to pursue. (It is also a way to make sense of the cloudy world I see in my head. There is a lot going on, but not much I can grab onto months down the road.)

The interview with Melissa taught me a few things I did not already know, but the best advice I received from her is to start a blog. Even though she told me this before the interview, I think this paper really solidified my opinion on its importance for my future. (Mainly that I have no future unless it involves a case of Bud Light or a fifth of Vodka :D Blame Californication...) For that reason alone, this assignment was a success. Her advice to practice, get published, and just get noticed will resonate with me for years to come. I could see myself as a writer; my ability to shine through procrastination is a skill only journalists can admire.


Thanks for reading..."Why: The Blog."

Next week look for..."Why: Don't you go fuck yourself."

(I am unapologetic for anything in this post. Sorry to the family.)

1 comment: